Friday, August 29, 2008

Just Like Me

When I started this blog, I didn't set out to make it all about God, and I certainly didn't intend to include a song in each post... Having said that, and now that I stop and think about it, I don't suppose I can omit my Creator from my very personal blog site, any more than I would choose to omit Him from my person!

Now that I got that off my chest.....

I've had a song running through my mind this past week. We used to play it in our band in the early 80's, and to be honest, I can't remember who the original (female) artist was. I do, however, remember the title and the words : "Just Like Me"

Some of the words went like this:

"Have you ever been lied to? Have you ever been cheated on?


Have you ever been wrong, so wrong... wishing you were gone?


Have you ever cried all night long, thinking something 'bout you is wrong?


Have you ever reached out for a little love, but you couldn't hold on?


Well you're just like me... (chorus)


Have you ever been walked on? Have you ever been talked down to?


Have you ever asked yourself why they do what they do to you?


Have you ever been turned on, just to be turned down?


Have you ever been pushed so hard, you just can't turn around?


Well, you're just like me....."


You get the idea.

We seem to have an epidemic these days of what I call the "walking wounded".

"I HAVE THE RIGHT!..." "I burned my tongue on your hot coffee... My coffee is too cold, give me another one... He makes more money than me... They changed the menu... She hit me... He ignored me... Can you believe he did that?.. Can you believe she had the nerve to say that?.. They shouldn't have... If it were me, I would..." (shall I go on?)

Perhaps it isn't all about what's been done to you or what you've done...

In fact maybe, just maybe, it's not about you at all.

1 comment:

Deb said...

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME??????

Wow. Thank you, friend, Dawn, for reminding me. Seems like sometimes I need this reminder hourly or possibly even every five minutes.
"What a wretched (wo)man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" Rm. 7:24

Thankfully the Rescue is complete...Rm. 8:1 No condemnation in Him!